Copper's 11th Annual Sunsation Is All About The Events This Year... And FREE Live Music
March 14, 2011
Sunsation schedule of events**
- CBS Alt Games
- Live Music All day, including the Gin Blossoms
- Red Bull 1976 games opening ceremony
- Fashion Show
- Red Bull 1976 Games
- Live Music all day, including Quiet Riot
- Paid concert by MiMosa
- World Record Attempt
- Fiesta Giveaway
- Live music all day, including The Samples
- Easter celebration
- Easter Egg Hunt Throughout village
- Live music all day
Copper Mountain, CO…March 14, 2011…The snow is deep, the sun is bright and there’s no better way to celebrate springtime than at Copper Mountain. Copper’s Sunsation celebrates its 11th year with two weekends of fun in the sun. The first weekend, April 16-17, will include the triumphant return of the Red Bull 1976 Games, the CBS Sports Network’s 2011 Alt Games College Slopestyle and Rail Jam Championships and of course, free live music. The second weekend, April 23-24, will include a world record attempt, the always fun Easter Brunch and Easter egg hunt and of course more free music. This year’s headliners include: The Gin Blossoms, Quiet Riot, The Samples with more acts to be announced soon.
Weekend 1 Schedule of Events, April 16-17:
The first weekend of Sunsation will consist of the Jagermeister Main Stage in Burning Stones Plaza hosting tons of free music, the CBS Sports Network’s Alt Games and the Red Bull 1976 Games.
- Live music all day, with headliners the Gin Blossoms wrapped around the Rail Jam Finals. Fueled by mega-hits including "Hey Jealousy," "Found Out About You" and "Til I Hear It From You," Gin Blossoms completed the classic crossover from college-circuit heroes to multi-platinum album sellers.
- The fun doesn’t stop with the music, the country’s best collegiate skiers and riders will be throwing down during the College Championships Saturday, April 16, with a televised Slopestyle Skiing and Snowboarding competition, as well as a Rail Jam which will take place near Burning Stones Plaza. CBS Sports Network’s Alt Games, now in its sixth year, is a one-of-a-kind event showcasing college action championships in sports including skiing, snowboarding, wakeboarding, flowboarding, skateboarding, and beach volleyball. The Championship competitions will air on CBS Sports Network. For more information, www.thealtgames.com
- Saturday evening – Fashion Show and Opening Ceremonies for the Red Bull 1976 Games in Jack’s Bar, with music provided by the ultimate tribute to Guns N’ Roses - Appetite for Destruction.
- Live music all day, with headliners Quiet Riot, planning to rock out like its 1976. Quiet Riot is an American heavy metal band, best known for their hit singles “Cum On Feel the Noize” and “Metal Health.” They are ranked in VH1's “100 Greatest Artists of Hard Rock.”
- In conjunction with Sunsation, teams of outrageous skiers channeling their inner 70's groove and retro ski skills will unite at Copper for the Red Bull 1976 Games. So what inspired this wackiness? More than 30 years ago, Denver was awarded the 1976 Winter Olympics, but then a coalition of activists and politicians campaigned against it and the games instead got moved to Innsbruck, Austria. This event is played off those 1976 Winter Games "known as the 1976 Games" and they bring the games back to Colorado and finally "give the year 1976 its day." Competitions include Snowbladecross & Old School Air, plus an award for most outrageous costume and team mojo! So grow (or stick on) those mustaches, squeeze into your one-piece and get ready to party like its 1976. To get an idea of what we are talking about, check out this great video: Red Bull 1976 Games Video.
- Sunday Evening – Live music in the Copper Conference Center by MiMOSA w/Archnemesis and Frequent-C. Tickets for this show are $20 in advance and $25 day of show, and can be purchased at www.GigDigger.com. Doors open at 7:30 p.m. and show starts at 8.
Weekend 2 Schedule of Events, April 23-24:
To ring in the end of an amazing season, and it being one of the latest Easter Sunday’s on record, Sunsation will deliver for Copper’s closing weekend.
- Live music all day, with headliners The Samples, making sure to keep things hot! The Samples are a band formed in Boulder, CO in early 1987. The band's name came from the members' early sustenance of food samples from the local grocery store. The music has been described as "reggae influenced folk and rock/pop."
- It’s time to break out those swimsuits and sunglasses because we are going to be working on our tan at this fiesta, but Safety first, as we will be trying to break the world record for the most people to apply sunscreen at the same time.
- It’s also time for someone to have their life changed forever. That’s right; we will be giving away the Snow Day Fiesta to a lucky guest. We’ll even fill up the gas tank!
- For your last chance to enter to win the Fiesta, log-on to Facebook, “Like” Copper Mountain (www.Facebook.com/CopperMtn), and then head into the ‘Your Snow Day’ tab and click where it says, “Thanks we ‘Like’ you too. Click here to enter to win.” Fill out the form and you are entered to win!
- Some things just go together, like Snow and Day, and Easter and Brunch. Start the celebration with brunch at C.B. Grille, where there will be specials that will make any bunny jump for joy.
- Colorado's largest Easter Egg Hunt starts at 10 a.m. for the little chickens (6-and-under) with the bigger kids' hunt at Noon, while the biggest kids (12-and-up) will be hunting around the village throughout the day. If trinkets and jelly beans aren't enough, prizes include lift tickets, Woodward at Copper sessions, gift cards, t-shirts and the grand prize of a 2011/12 Copper Season Pass!
- Silly rabbit, tricks are for kids! In the afternoon, the Easter Bunny and Peeps in the Pipe will be showing off their skills. In addition, get ready for golf season with Egg Putt-Putt; with 9 holes of "greens" on the snow and Easter eggs for golf balls. Putters and eggs provided, and don't worry, we're not using raw or hard boiled eggs for this one!
- Once the kids come down from their sugar high, Copper will really start the party by having live music in Burning Stones Plaza. Music is set to start around 3 p.m. and the party will be rocking to round out another great season!
Deep Snow, Bright Sun, Free Live Music! Copper’s Sunsation is the original season-wrap party!
Visit www.CopperSunsation.com for the full schedule, deals, pictures and samples of this year’s music (as they become available).
Copper Mountain knows there are skiers and riders out there who have never felt the thrill of waking up and hearing on the radio that school was cancelled. There are people who have never spent a whole day in the snow doing anything their heart desired. No joke. These people, and those who understand snow day bliss, are the reason we do what we do. So come to Copper to take a day, or two or seven and experience the mountain. Welcome everybody, to the home of the snow day. For up-to-date weather, photos and more visit www.coppercolorado.com.
This season make sure to check out Woodward at Copper, the premier trick stomping playground that features The Barn, a 19,400 sq. ft. indoor facility complete with indoor artificial snow jumps and jib lines, foam pits, skate features and Olympic fly-bed trampolines, offering indoor and outdoor training programs where you can learn tricks in the Barn and take them on snow the same day. For a virtual tour of The Barn, program details, videos, pictures and much more, visit www.WoodwardatCopper.com.