1st Annual Copper Mountain Winter Bike Race - Night Race
It's time to get in gear for the New Year! We are hosting our 1st Annual Copper Mountain Winter Bike Night Race and we're heating things up at the finish line En Fuego style. You don’t need to be an expert rider for ten mile course. Get ready for a great course with crazy spectators, fire performers, fireworks, and celebrate at Incline's Bar & Grill at the end of the race! See you at the start at 5:30 pm.
Sat Jan 14 2012 - Starts: 5:30pm - 7pm
The 10-mile Copper En Fuego course, open to riders of all fitness and skill levels, will utilize groomed Nordic ski trails, a stair climb, heated brick pavers, snow banks, hills, an ice rink ride and much more.
The Cloud City Wheelers, who will host the entire Winter Mountain Bike Race Series, advocate that winter racing is a great way to keep up riding and racing during the off-season and that their races ‘always end with plenty of tasty food and beverages, laughter and dang good times’. The evening race begins at 5:30pm and the $20 entry fee benefits local bicycle advocacy groups around the Leadville area. Registration will take place on the day of the event, beginning at 3pm at the Incline Bar and Grill at Copper.
Spectators are encouraged to catch the action from Center Village where additional En Fuego entertainment will include a DJ Landry set from 5 to 7pm and fireworks scheduled to erupt as racers return to Center Village from their 1-2 hour ride. Following the race, all are invited to an after party at the Incline Bar and Grill.
- Registration: 3-5:00pm in Incline Bar and Grill Registration fee $20.00
- Rider's Meeting: 5:25pm at the start line in Burning Stones Plaza
- Race Start: 5:30pm in Burning Stones Plaza
- Fireworks at 7:00pm in Burning Stones Plaza
- Awards at 7:30pm by Incline Bar and Grill
- **All times are tentative and subject to change**
- This is the first Annual race for Copper Mountain and it is also the first race of the year for the Leadville Winter Mountain Bike Race Series. Check out www.cloudcitywheelers.com for more information.
- There will be a multitude of obstacles for the ride including: snow hills, heated pavers, a stair climb, an ice rink ride, and much more fun!
- This race will take place throughout the villages of Copper and will be a 2 lap circuit. There will be plenty of opportunity for friends to come cheer you on!
- There will be lockers available for putting your belongings in a safe place.
- Parking will be available for racers day of the race after 2pm. Please feel free to park your vehicle in the Upper B parking lot.
- There is a special lodging rate for participants. for more information, please call Copper Mountain Reservations at 866.837.2996 and refer to the group code, "431" and event name, "Winter Mountain Bike Racers."
- You can ride anything from your regular mountain bike to a Snow bike with 3.8” tires, such as the Salsa Mukluk2.
- Run wider rims and tires—2.5” or more are the best. This will allow for more flotation.
- Studded tires are not needed—they are allowed, but you will be bummed when the added weight slows you down.
- Nice, bright lights will help you ride faster, and remember, batteries hate the cold so keep them warm or they’ll die quickly.
- Helmets are required
- The race is at night, so it will be COLD. Keep your hands and feet warm. Cover your shoes if you can, so snow pack doesn’t pack into them when hiking.
- This is a fun race and will give you stories to tell all week.
- Be prepared to get off your bike and hike.
- The Course is not super steep but will have short climbs
- Wear your helmet
- The race is at night, so it will be COLD
- Keep your hands and feet warm
- Cover your shoes if you can so snow doesn't pack into them when you hike
- Dress down to warm up
- Have warm cloths near the finish to change into when the race is over
Center Village, Copper Mountain